Tuesday, January 17, 2012

First outing with both kids…

Yesterday, JC had his 1 month check up with the pediatrician.  I had arranged to have lunch with Heather (cousin in law), so I decided to take both kids with me so she could see Sweet Pea also.  Mr. Right didn’t go with me since it was going to be an all day kind of thing (I, of course, want to shop while I’m in Bham) and he needed to sleep so he could work that night.  So…. I was by myself… with both kids… for the first time.  :-/

IMG_2629

We went to the doctor first.  JC is doing well!  He’s a growing boy and the doctor said he looks great.  He weighed 9 lb 3 oz.  He said that was well over an ounce a day since his two week check up, and that’s great.  He was 21 1/4 inches tall.  And his head was 15 inches.  He is getting to be a chunky monkey!  I just love him. 

IMG_2630      

Sweet Pea was pretty good at the doctor’s office.  She tried to run out of the room at one point and I had to run after her.  She is really testing me in that area (running off from me) right now and it’s really starting to tick me off.

IMG_2633

We left there and went to lunch with Heather and Evan (her son that is a month older than JC).  Sweet Pea did pretty good there also.  She actually ate a good bit of her food.  We had several false alarm bathroom trips… I wish she would get over her fear of public bathrooms/toilets/loud flushing toilets.  But eventually, she did go potty there before we left.  (side note: She wet her pants in Home Depot the other day… right after I walked her down to the bathroom and she absolutely refused to go.  Yep, she left a puddle in the floor by the carpet samples… Fun times.)  JC was great there.  He ate a bottle and was wide awake!  He wanted to be up on my shoulder so he could look around and see everything that was going on. 

IMG_2632

When we walked out to the car, we were standing in between our vehicle and the next one.  I sat JC down and told Sweet Pea to stand still so I could get the keys.  She started to walk off toward the front of the vehicle and I told her to stop.  She then started running and I had to scream/yell at her to get her to stop.  Thankfully, she was only up near the bushes and not out in the actual parking lot.  So, needless to say, next time I am by myself with them, she will have her safety harness/baby leash on so I don’t have to worry about that again.

IMG_2631 

We left there and headed to Barnes and Noble so I could buy out the whole section of parenting books.  I wanted to get a book on parenting and discipline because I obviously have no idea what I am doing.  Sweet Pea is really testing me a lot lately, even before her brother came along.  I have tried spanking her (go ahead and judge me) and making her go to time out… Neither work!!!  Time out is a joke!  I can’t get her to stay there for her whole 2 minutes.  She cries and screams and throws tantrums the whole time.  And I hate spanking her because she is just pitiful (I am more of a softie than I realized and not as hardcore as I want to be) and I feel like all I do is spank her or pop her hands all day long.  And it does no good.  She is back to doing the same thing she just got in trouble for….  It’s exhausting.  So…….. I asked on FB if anyone had any suggestions on some parenting/discipline books.  I got a few suggestions, so I was going to check them out. 

IMG_2635

I ended up buying 1-2-3 Magic and Strong Willed Child.  I told Mr. Right that we both needed to read the books so we could be on the same page as far as disciplining her, so we started reading last night.  I’ll let y’all know how that goes when we finish. 

IMG_2638

Anywho… So, when we got to Barnes and Noble, my plan was to put Sweet Pea in the stroller so she wouldn’t be running around the store and to put JC in the baby sling.  Weeeeellllll…..  I forgot the stupid sling!  I still put her in the stroller and I was carrying him…. and trying to push a huge stroller.  The stroller was drunk!!!  It wouldn’t go straight, and I could only use one hand to push.  It was very comical.  Luckily, Heather met me there and she helped with pushing the stroller in the store since she had her baby carrier for Evan.  I got my books, got Sweet Pea one and we left.  That was the worst part of the trip I think…

IMG_2639

We went to Target so I could buy diapers and whatever else I could think of that we needed.  This was the easiest part of it.  I was able to put her in the shopping cart, she didn’t try to get out not even once!!  That is a huge people!!!!  She usually ALWAYS tries to get out and wants to walk around.  But she didn’t this time.  Thank you Jesus.  We shopped for a little bit, got our Starbucks (naturally :-) and left.  We sat in the parking lot so I could feed JC again before we headed home.  She was very good and sat quietly and drank her vanilla milk from Starbucks (she loves that stuff!) and then we hit the road. 

IMG_2640

All in all… I’d say it was a success.  Other than her trying to run from me in the parking lot after lunch…  :-/  Ever since I found out I was pregnant, I have dreaded the thought of taking both kids with me to town by myself.  And I have finally done it and survived it. 

IMG_2647

Now I get to do it again tomorrow.  Sweet Pea has a follow up appointment for her ears at the doctor’s office where my mom works and then I have my post partum check up tomorrow afternoon.  I would let Maw Maw keep JC, but I want to take him so my mom can see him.  But we won’t be doing any shopping tomorrow, so maybe this trip will be uneventful.  Let’s hope…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment letting me know you stopped by! :-)