Sunday, January 2, 2011

Wisdom teeth…

I decided at the last minute to get my wisdom teeth taken out, because our insurance renews at the beginning of the year and I have only used a little of it this year.  So, I didn’t want the rest to go to waste… 

Anyway.  Danielle (my SIL) came in the weekend of the 17th and we had Christmas with her.  (Pictures to come later.)  Eric (my BIL) wasn’t able to make it though.  So, I had to be at the oral surgeon’s office bright and early that morning.  (Yes… I stupidly set my appointment for the day of our Christmas gathering…)

When the doctor says “Your going to get a little drowsy”… he means, “Your going to be KNOCKED OUT in about 5 seconds!”  That’s all I remember before my teeth were ripped out of my mouth.

Then I remember them waking me up and the girl kept telling me “Don’t get your phone out.  Leave it in your pocket!”  She told me that at least twice!  I was wanting to take a picture of myself so I could see if I looked like a chipmunk.  But I guess I didn’t want to wait til I got to the car…  Haha!  Oh well.  I must have been talking a lot when she was rolling me out to the car because I remember her telling me to stop talking so much because my gauze was coming out.  She had to shove it back in my mouth.  Haha!

My MIL was my ride, and I think she got a kick out of me.  I know she told me at one point to stop talking or something like that because I told her “You just don’t want to hear me talk anymore!”  And I told her that I was fine.  I could drive home.  HAHA!!!!  I think she just laughed at me. 

I did finally take a picture of myself.

 IMG_3683

I took it on the drive home and I told my MIL “You know I gotta put this on Facebook!”  Haha!  Social networking has taken over the world!

I did some kind of dance in the driveway when we got home.  I guess I was just wanting to show her that I was ok…???  She was afraid I was going to fall, but I didn’t.  :-)

Anywho…  I got home and MIL went to get my prescriptions filled.  They prescribed me Lortab for pain, Phenergan for nausea, and an antibiotic.  My MIL stayed with me for a little while so Mr. Right could get some sleep.

I pretty much sat in the recliner and dozed off here and there.  She washed clothes and dishes… even though I told her not to.  Someone went and got me some ibuprofen to take in between doses of Lortab because I was in a lot A LOT of pain…

NEVER give someone who is already doped up a bottle of pills!!!!!!!!!

My mom told me that I could take 600-800 mg of ibuprofen in between my doses of Lortab.  I remember Mr. Right handing me the bottle of ibuprofen and I looked at it and saw 100 on it.  Keep in mind… I was a lot a little loopy from the anesthesia and pain meds.  I thought to myself, “I’ll just take 600 mg right now and see how it helps…”  I poured out six pills in my hand and took them….

Later, he woke me up because it was time to go to Alice and Randy’s for our Christmas gathering.  I took some Lortab before we left… possibly some Phenergan (I can’t remember).  I felt normal.  I wasn’t it any pain and I was able to eat regular food.  I was really in shock because I was feeling so good.  (I’ve heard so many horror stories about people getting their wisdom teeth removed.)

I started to feel really nauseated before we left to go home.  My stomach was hurting so bad and I didn’t know why.  When we got home, I took some more medicine before I went to bed… but the pain in my stomach just got worse.  I talked to my mom and told her I was hurting really really bad.  I could barely lay in the bed because I was hurting so bad.  I just didn’t understand it.  I somehow was able to fall asleep because I woke up the next morning and the stomach pain was gone. 

At some point that morning I went to take some ibuprofen and I noticed on the bottle that it said 100 CAPSULES.  So I read some more and saw that it said 200 mg!!!

After telling a few people what happened… the only thing I can come up with is that I was on the verge of overdosing… and I didn’t even know it until the next day!!!  Very scary!!!!!!  Needless to say, I made it very clear to my sweet husband that he better not EVER hand me a bottle of pills when I am already medicated like that… because obviously I can NOT read clearly!!!

Saturday night I had a reaction to the Lortab.  I was itching ALL OVER!  I couldn’t go back to sleep.  I finally took some Benadryl around 4:30 that morning and was able to go back to sleep. 

I had my check up on the 31st (two weeks later).  My mouth has hurt the entire time!!!!!  I have dissolvable stitches in my mouth, but one of them has been pulling on my gums so bad and it has been killing me.  I told the doctor when I went back and he cut it out.  Two of the other stitches have just come out… once in my bubble gum…  And now I have one left.  I hope it dissolves soon because it is very annoying.

I had no idea when I decided to get my wisdom teeth taken out that it would be an experience like this….  But I’m glad it is over and done with.

Does anyone else have horror stories about their wisdom teeth??

2 comments:

  1. oh my gosh! having my wisdom teeth out was seriously one of the worst experiences of my life! it was TERRIBLE! i swelled up like a pumpkin for weeks. i was so swollen my eyes were like little slits. i had to miss a week of school (i was a senior in HS) and then i got dry sockets which were a NIGHTMARE! ugh!!!! hope you are recovering and feeling better. glad you didn't overdose - that is scary!! btw, i had a reaction to the loratab, too. no fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do I start!? First off so glad you did not OD! sheesh Mr Right!Second what I thought would be a few days off from BOTH of my jobs ended up being like 2 weeks! Unlike your doc my genius of a Dr didn't give me antibiotics for an infection the apparently now happens to everyone WELL why they didn't give me the antibiotics was beyond me! Anyway my cheeks swelled sooo bad I wouldn't let ANYONE SEE ME! It hurt so bad! I guess in the long run I am glad they are out & I dont have to worry about it anymore =D

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment letting me know you stopped by! :-)