Thursday, September 8, 2011

GTT…

Yesterday I had my 3 hour glucose tolerance test.

It didn’t go as well as I hoped it would.  Well… I’ll just explain it to you…

At my doctor’s office, you just go back at your time to be stuck and any nurse that is available checks your glucose. 

The same nurse did my fasting glucose, gave me my drink, stuck me at one hour and stuck me at two hours…  I passed my fasting and my first stick, but my second stick was a little high.  Fortunately, you can fail one stick and still pass the test.  So… I had high hopes!

My third stick just so happened to be at lunch time (12:05), so there was hardly anyone back there.  An older lady nurse saw me standing there and told me she would do it.

She informed me before she stuck me that she was a diabetic…. and her secret is the thumb…  I said… Ok, do whatever, I don’t care.  I was just really hungry at that point and wanted to get out of there!

Well, she sticks me and we wait….  The results popped up a few seconds later and it was 144!  I let out a big sigh of relief because it had to be under 145 for me to pass!

She handed me my check out paper, and I walked off smiling.

I go to the check out counter and as I am talking to the check out girl about whether my blood work and pap smear results had been faxed from the other doctor (they haven’t, and I’m pissed about that!!!), the nurse comes and pops her head around the corner and gives me “the look”…  She asks me to come back to the nurses station when I’m done.

I knew by the look on her face, something wasn’t right…

So, she tells me that after I walked off, she popped my cartridge back in the machine and it read 148.  She went and told the doctor and the doctor asked her, “and why did you do that?!”  Her response to him was, “well, I’m a diabetic and I’m a curious kind of person…”

So, he tells her to call me back there and he wanted to talk to me about watching what I eat. 

At that point, I wanted to punch her in the face.  ANY OTHER NURSE would have just thrown away the blood when they were done. 

So… I’m waiting in the room and the doctor comes in.  He says, “well, we can call you normal or abnormal.”  My response, “I passed the test!”  He laughed and said, “By the skin of your teeth.” 

He was going to make me go to gestational diabetes classes and do the whole sugar check crap on a regular basis…  But I kind of talked him out of it. 

He pretty much told me to cut out sugar from my diet, and the bad carbs that turn into sugar (stuff like potatoes, white rice, white bread, etc)…  I have to check a fasting glucose once a week, and if it gets over 105, I have to let him know. 

So, you might as well say that I am on the stupid gestational diabetes diet, even though I technically passed the test.  I’m not too happy about it at all.  I’m very bitter about it.  I feel like I can’t eat anything that I would normally eat. 

My game plan is for me to eat better… not necessarily go by the diet completely… because technically I did pass the test!!!!……..  But I am going to cut out the sugar.  I already eat wheat stuff a lot, so that won’t be too much of an adjustment.

The holidays coming up are going to suck because Mr. Right’s aunt always makes tons of sweets.  And I won’t be able to eat them!  Halloween is around the corner and I LURVE candy corn.  Hershey’s makes these awesome candy apple kisses that I was addicted to last year.  I might have to buy a bag to have AFTER I give birth. 

But anyway… That’s that…  I go back to the doctor in about two weeks… and every two weeks from then on (until the due date gets closer…)  Time is flying people!!!!  Our baby boy will be here before we know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment letting me know you stopped by! :-)